Sunday, May 2, 2010

Nutrition 101

Hey Guys I think I'm getting this blogging thing down still having trouble loading pics I can't see them before I post them(any ideas on how to fix this). Anyway enough on that lets get to the nutrition. Anyone who know me or has trained with me knows I am big on eating right, now when I say right I mean making sure I get my protein, carbs, and fats not to mention my veggies and fruits. The one nutrient I want to talk about is one of the most misunderstood nutrients and most feared, carbohydrates. Now for those in the know you understand that carbs provide energy for your workouts and help in the repair of muscle after workouts. However the general public eats carbs all the time with everything and wonders why they can't lose weight carbohydrates are rich source of energy however if that energy isn't burned its stored in the body as fat. Here's a simple equation kcal burned vs. kcal consumed, meaning if you burn more than you consume you will lose weight if you eat more and move less you will gain weight. However the types of food you consume determines how fast you burn it. Let look at a chicken breast over a bowl of frosted flakes, the chicken breast requires more energy to digest which leads to some caloric burn and elevated metabolism where as the frosted flakes are burned quickly cause a sharp increase in insulin with a sharp drop off later. This process is what leades to fat gain, high spikes in insulin which is a hormone produced ny the pancreas this hormone when controlled can actually help lean you out as opposed to fattening you up. How can I control this hormone you might ask well one of the things you can do is eat or drink your carbs when you need them such as on workout days i.e, during and after your workouts. Also remember eating 5 to 6 meals a day helps to. I will be back next week with more.

Strength and Focus

Charles Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment