Wednesday, May 12, 2010

F.B.T

Hey everybody I hope every ones Mother's day was awesome and you got to spend some time with your mom. I know I haven't posted in a while and that's because I have been busy working on some really big things for my business(you will find out more as it progress'). Anyway what I want to talk about today is something that you may not be aware of but that is key for optimal training and can have a direct effect on your training sessions. It's a term I coined to describe a little known training technique that I feel will help all lifters do better, and its called Full Body Tightness or F.B.T for short. I have been training people for almost 10 years and had always wondered why not only the average gym goer but also my clients were having trouble with not only the heavy loads but also the light ones too, and after years of observing this I finally figured out that it was a lack of teaching the technique of FBT.
At this point you are probably wondering what FBT is well its really very simple it is the prep-stage before the actual lift or lifting occurs it is the process by which one creates muscular tension throughout the entire body in order to perform the exercise,in other words tense up. Now I know most of you have been taught to work the body in segments by reading such wonderful material as Muscle and Fitness, Shape, Oxygen, Muscular Development and so forth. However the body doesn't work in segments it works as a unit. What this means is that when you are performing something as simple as a standing bicep curl there are other countless actions within the body taking place, such as the internal and external oblique and abdominal muscles are working to keep you up-right and your legs are working to 'ground you' so to speak. Now here's where it gets cool and where full body tightness comes into play, when you start the curl your whole body should be tight to give the biceps the support they need inorder to curl the weight quickly and explosively, now I know that most of you have been taught to move the weight slowly so that you can 'feel' the muscle working, well I'm here to tell you the exact opposite, the weight should come up quickly the nuero-muscular system needs to be trained to move fast while form should be maintained throughout.
This is another benefit of FBT style training it actually teaches you how to become more explosive on a lift and durring a lift and maintain form simply becuase its very hard to deadlift, bench, squat or even do a push-up with your whole body relaxed. Give this a try this week on all your big lifts as well as on you assistance movents and give me your feedback on what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment